Candace's Photography Blog Has Moved... The Banks Bunch blog is still here....

I have decided that it would be best to move my photography blog to a new site...I will continue to post family updates at this blog.

Please visit my photography site at:

http://candacejbanks.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Candace

Sunday, December 9, 2007

1776--a post from Kelly in Qatar...

Life is pretty monotonous here. We are coming toward the end now. I can just barely see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.
One thing I have enjoyed here is reading some good books. There is a surprisingly good library here stocked with books, magazines, and movies. The movies are the most utilized from my observations, (the movie isles are always crowded and the book isles are usually pretty clear).
I enjoy reading history and I found a good one. Before I came on this deployment I heard several good reviews of David McCullough's "1776." So i was pleased to see that the library had several copies. It is, as you would guess, about the year 1776 and more specifically the American revolution during that year. This book was very well written and I could not put it down. I think even readers who normally don't enjoy history would enjoy the way the author was able to bring the characters back to life.
I was surprised that this year was not exactly a good year for our young countries cause. That the year that we consider our countries birth year was almost the end of it as well. And, that George Washington, the father of our country and the supreme commander of the continental army, had a bad year as well. After an early victory at Boston during the summer of 1776, Washington and his army spent the rest of that year being out witted, out maneuvered and out manned by the red coats.
I also came away with a renewed sense the providence of our great country. I firmly believe, and this book further ingrained, that our country was destined to be a "shining city on a hill" and that we are "the last best hope of earth." Many times in the beginning of our war for independence, our small citizen army should have been crushed. But through weather, timing and what appears to be pure luck, they were not. Many mistakes were made by our young army and its inexperienced officers. But through determination and what could only be construed as the hand of God, they were not.
It would be an understatement to say that I recommend this book. I will be looking to buy a copy when I get home and if your looking for a good present for a person with even a small interest in history, this would be a great one.

1 comment:

The Fletchers said...

Dear Kelly,

So good to hear from you brother! I am so grateful for your willingness to serve....I look forward to catching up on your 'stories' (at least those you are able to tell) when you get back.

blessings,

lee